solicitors to prepare Change of Name Deeds

change your name, name deed solicitors, Family Legal

There are many reasons why people may wish to change their own or their children's names. We can prepare Change of Name deeds for adults and children and are able to provide a swift and efficient service.

Who can apply to change their name?

To change your own name you must be at least 16 years of age. To change the name of a child who is under 16 years of age, someone with parental responsibility can apply so long as everyone with parental responsibility for the child consents to the name change.

Please note that Nationality may be a factor as to whether you can change your name. For more information please contact us for specific advice.

Please note that for routine cases we are able to prepare change of name deeds for UK adults at a fixed price of £120

Can I change my child's name?

A child's legal name can easily be changed by deed providing everyone with parental responsibility for the child consents to the name change. If your child is 16 years of age or over (or approaching their 16th birthday), they must apply for their own change of name for which parental consent is not required.

Before we can assist in changing a child's name we must be satisfied that everyone with parental responsibility for the child has consented to the proposed change if name. This means obtaining written consent from all parties with parental responsibility for the child to the name change before the deed is prepared. or getting all parties with parental responsibility to execute the deed. If a father refuses to give his consent to the change of name, then the only course of action is for the mother to apply to the courts for leave (permission) to change the child's name.

If you have sole parental responsibility for your child, you will be able to change your child's name. However, if the whereabouts of the child's natural father are known and in particular if the natural father without parental responsibility is involved in the child's life or pays maintenance for the child you are strongly advised to obtain their consent as there have been successful legal cases where an unmarried father without parental responsibility, has obtained a court order to have his child's surname change reversed. In order to avoid the risk of a name change overturned it is advisable to either obtain the proper consent for the father or to apply to the court for permission to change the child's name.

What Next?

What ever your circumstances we can assist you in changing either your own or your child's name. We offer a fast and cost effective service.

For further information or to discuss your needs please contact us.

change my name, change of name deed solicitors, change a child's name,solicitors Middlewich Cheshire, Family legal, divorce solicitor Middlewich, solicitor Holmes Chapel, solicitor Sandbach, solicitor Northwich, solicitor Winsford, solicitor Cheshire, Cheshire Divorce