Mediation is a flexible process that is used in a number of different situations. By giving everyone the opportunity to explain their side of the story, and to talk without being interrupted, mediation can be very helpful when a situation is stuck. Mediation can work because:
- it allows people to be heard
- it is an empowering process that encourages people to put forward their own suggestions and ideas.
- it is less intimidating than legal procedures
- it provides solutions that the parties themselves have decided on, giving them all a sense of ownership of any agreement. As a result, agreements reached in this way last much better than solutions handed down by courts or an arbitrator.
- it can be organised quickly.
- It is usually affordable by all.
Please also note that anyone now wishing to issue financial or children proceeding needs to have undertaken a MIAM ( a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting) to establish whether mediation may be a useful tool in resolving their matter, before court proceedings are instigated.
Family Legal can help refer your case to a local mediator. We work alongside mediation and can be there to advise you along the way and can also take steps to incorporate any agreements reached into a legally binding format.
Call us now on 01606 841273 to discuss matters further